Armchair Protesting

I'm on my way to a protest.  The website pretty much speaks for itself.  At some point in the day, I will be holding a banner high that I helped to paint, protesting foreclosures and evictions by banks for profit.  I will hear real folks telling their stories of losing their homes and apartments, and I will look upon the faces of my neighbors as we speak out against speculation and illegal measures taken by the banks in the interest of profit.  I also had the privilege to paint and silkscreen signs with an amazing bunch of people, so smart and generous with their time and talents that they make my head spin and my heart sing -- the folks of Occupy SF and the Occupy SF Housing Coalition.
 Occupy Wall St. West Run On The Banks

For those with the time and inclination to join me, there are actions today in the Excelsior, next weekend, January 14th in the Mission District, and on January 20th, we will converge upon the San Francisco Financial District with our points of view, our protest signs and our counteractions against bad banking measures.  Here is a list of actions, a list that grows daily as the date grows closer:
http://www.occupywallstwest.org/wordpress/?page_id=74
Over the course of the 12-14 hour day, I'll be with both the Buddhist Peace and Justice League and the San Francisco Housing Coalition as we both stir things up and peace out.

For those who cannot join us, or cannot find the time to join a local happening, I encourage you to protest from the comfort of your home, your living room, your armchair.  Here's how:


                        A Protest Song
If you're feeling receptive and creative, this may spark other ways you can protest in simple, effective, and yes, lazy ways.  I'd love to hear about them, too!  Happy protesting, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment